Beyond all others, the primary goal for dealers is to drive more vehicle sales. A key component of generating sales is converting on-the-lot traffic. We know that walk-in leads are a valuable source of sales – with two-thirds of walk-ins making a purchase within 72 hours of their on-the-lot visit. As such, it is more important than ever to pay attention to on-the-lot trends as well as recognize the consumer behaviors that lead to walk-in visits.
In addition to analyzing which makes and models were most popular by category, we also analyzed how leveraging the Cars.com pricing tool correlates with on-the-lot visits. We found that one in four people who use the Cars.com pricing tool convert into walk-in leads. With more advancements in pricing contextualization among third-party sites, it’s more important than ever for dealers to invest in media that connects their inventory with quality audiences. These in-market shoppers are equipped with more knowledge and better resources – across product, price, place, and person — when they visit your dealership. Make sure you’re ready to close the sale when they walk onto your lot. For tips on converting walk-in leads to sales check out the Cars.com Guide to Converting Leads to Sales in the Digital Era.
Our monthly On-the-Lot Trends Reports (see last month’s here) provide insights around what makes and models consumers are searching for by ranking the top vehicles by VDP views in a number of categories. Compared to our June data, there were some notable newcomers to the July On-the-Lot rankings.
- In the New Luxury category, the Land Rover Range Rover made its way to the #1 spot, knocking off the Mercedes Benz C-Class from the new vehicle rankings entirely.
- The Ford Fusion returned to the New Sedan category in July after a hiatus on the June report.
- For the first time in our On-the-Lot reporting, the Volvo XC90 was a top 5 vehicle for New Luxury SUVs.
- The Used Luxury category continued to be dominated by Mercedes and BMW – no other makes have topped the list for the past three months.
- The RAM 1500 joined the Used Truck ranking in July – the first time this make/model has made the report.
- Newcomers Cadillac Escalade and Lexus RX 350 rounded out the top 5 Used Luxury SUV category.
Check out the full On-the-Lot Report for July, and stay tuned for next month’s On-the-Lot Trends Report for more insights about on-the lot visitors.
 Walk-in Shopper Survey. Cars.com, February 2017. (Toluna and Vision Critical Captures)
 Cars.com internal data. April to June 2017.